For a budget friendly meal that is easy to prepare and sure to please the whole family, try this recipe from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
Use a lean sausage, preferably from the butcher to avoid preservatives and additives.
This is a 20 minute BUDGET recipe from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge. We believe that healthy eating doesn’t mean you need to spend a fortune on groceries.
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder (1 grams)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (15 mls)
- 1 tsp soy sauce, salt reduced (5 mls)
- 1 tbsp cornflour (10 grams)
- 1 cup water (250 mls)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (16 grams)
- 8 lean sausages of choice (560 grams)
- 1 brown onion (100 grams)
- 1 small apple, peeled cored and thinly sliced (100 grams)
- 3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (480 grams)
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed (240 grams)
- 2 cups cauliflower (200 grams)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled (140 grams)
- Slice onion into rings.
- Whisk together mustard, Worcestershire, soy sauce, corn flour, tomato paste and water in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of water (per serve) in a large fry pan, add sausages and poach evenly on all sides for about 5 minutes, until just cooked. Remove the sausages from the pan and chop into bite sized slices and set aside (don’t worry if the sausage is a little under cooked as they will be returned to the heat).
- Add the onion to the frying pan and sauté until soft. Return sausage pieces and add apple slices to the pan. Pour over the mustard sauce mixture.
- Allow to simmer, while stirring, for 5 minutes or until the sausage is cooked thoroughly and sauce has slightly thickened.
- While simmering the sausages boil the sweet potato in water until soft, then mash. Season with pepper.
- Slice carrots into rounds and steam with beans and cauliflower in the microwave or in a steaming basket on the stove top until tender.
- Serve sweet potato mash with devilled sausages and sauce and steamed vegetables on the side.
Recipe serves 4 people, at 408 calories per serve
Want access to more healthy recipes?
Check out the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge. With over 4,000 recipes, 350 fat burning exercises and 24/7 support, The Healthy Mummy can help YOU hit your goal weight faster.
Our Challenge includes:
- 28 days of at home exercise routines (no gym needed) – with video instruction
- New CHALLENGE THEME each month – so you’ll NEVER get bored
- Customisable and breastfeeding friendly meal plans
- Time-efficient exercises for busy mums – under 30 mins
- Challenge combines Pilates exercises with interval and circuit
- Suitable for basic to advanced fitness levels
- Home to thousands of EASY-TO-MAKE recipes!