Healthy Slow Cooked Asian Chicken
This recipe is idea for cooler days, when all you want is something warm and slow cooked. Tender chicken and full of delicious Asian flavours, this chicken dish is a winner.
Best of all it’s only 320 per serve INCLUDING the rice, making it idea if you’re following the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
- 500g chicken breasts
- 1/2 onion, diced (50g)
- 1/3 cup tamari (gluten free soy sauce) (83ml)
- 1/3 cup honey (83ml)
- 1/2 cup water (125ml)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (6g)
- 1 tsp minced ginger (4g)
- Juice of a small lime (20ml)
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (160g)
- 1 tbsp cornflour, (10g) mixed with a little water
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (16g)
- 1/2 spring onion (7g)
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker. Top with diced onion.
- Mix tamari, honey, water, ginger, garlic and lime juice together and pour over the chicken and onion.
- Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 6-7 hours or until meat is very tender. When ready, remove chicken breasts from cooker and shred with two forks. Set aside.
- Prepare rice according to packet directions.
- Pour the sauce from the slow cooker into a saucepan, and bring to a gentle boil. Combine cornflour with a little water and mix to form a paste. Add the cornflour mix to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Simmer for a few minutes until thickened. Add shredded chicken to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Divide chicken and sauce evenly and serve over cooked rice. Top with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and some sliced spring onion.
Recipe serves 5 at 379 calories per serve.