Everyone will love digging into this traditional, seasoned roast lamb with a delicious mint pesto. Serve with some vegetarian side dishes, simple steamed vegetables or a salad.
It’s perfect for a family get-together or celebration, as this recipe serves 6. Or enjoy the leftovers the next day on a sandwich or homemade pizza.
Join the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge to access thousands of healthy recipes that the whole family will love.
- 1500 grams lamb leg roast
- 1 tsp lemon zest (4g)
- 1 clove garlic crushed (3g)
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves (2g)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (45ml)
- 1 cup water (250ml)
- 1 red onion (100g)
- 1/2 cup mint leaves (30g)
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds (20g)
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan (12g)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (15ml)
- Preheat oven to 190C / gas mark 5.
- Combine lemon zest, garlic, thyme and 1 tablespoon of the oil and rub over the lamb. Season with salt and pepper and place on a rack in a baking dish.
- Cut onion into wedges and arrange around lamb, pour water into base of the pan. Roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes for medium or until cooked to your liking.
- While lamb is roasting, make the pesto. Place mint, almonds, lemon juice and Parmesan in a food processor until roughly chopped. With the processor running, drizzle in remaining oil in a thin, steady stream. Process until combined. Transfer to a bowl, cover and place in fridge.
- Remove lamb from oven, cover loosely with foil for 15 minutes before slicing and serving with the pesto and onions.