This healthy macaroni and cheese recipe is from our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge and it’s a sensation!
It’s everything you could possibly imagine from a classic mac and cheese but without the high calories.
Totally delicious and bound to be a hit with the whole family (and a great way of sneaking some extra veggies in for the kids).
Healthy Macaroni And Cheese
Ingredients (makes 4 adult serves)
- 4 cups cauliflower (400 grams)
- 1 medium carrot (70 grams)
- 1 cup pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled (120 grams)
- 1 cup liquid vegetable stock, salt reduced (250 mls)
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk of choice (250 mls)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (3 grams)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, reduced-fat (480 grams)
- 1 tbsp cornflour (10 grams)
- 2 cups macaroni, uncooked (200 grams)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (36 grams)
- 2 tbsp light cream cheese (40 grams)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (1 grams)
- Roughly chop the cauliflower, carrot and pumpkin and place in a microwave safe jug, add the vegetable stock.
- Cover and cook in the microwave for 7 minutes or until tender.
- In a food processor add the vegetable and stock mix and blitz until puréed.
- Transfer the purée mix to a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, add the milk, garlic and tasty cheese and mix until the cheese has melted.
- Once melted, combine the cornflour with a little water to form a paste. Add this paste to the cheese and veggie mix and stir to thicken.
- Once thickened, remove half the sauce mixture and set aside, and leave the other half in the saucepan.
- Cook the macaroni as per directions on packet.
- Once the macaroni is cooked, drain and add into the sauce in the saucepan, also add the Parmesan cheese, cream cheese and smoked paprika (optional).
- Stir through, and you can serve as is, or place in a baking dish and cover with a little more cheese and bake until the top is golden.
- NOTE: The leftover sauce, can be frozen and used to make another batch. Just defrost in the fridge the night before. Once defrosted, heat in a small saucepan on the stove, and simply add cooked pasta.
Recipe makes 4 adult servings at 467 calories per serve