It’s always great to have a good, healthy alternative to the standard sandwich in your child’s lunch box.
This crepe or pikelet batter recipe is an old faithful, perfect to have on hand for breakfasts and snacks.
Whenever you whip up a weekend pancake breakfast from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge, it’s a good idea to cook a few extra crepes or pikelets to store in the fridge or freezer for later use.
Some of the recipe ideas include nuts, please be mindful not to send nuts to school (why not enjoy them for afternoon tea when the kids get home instead!).
Basic Pikelet Batter
- 1 egg (50g)
- 1 cup plain wholemeal flour (120g)
- 1 cup milk (250ml)
- Oil or butter for cooking.
Combine egg, flour and milk, and whisk until smooth (or blitz in a blender). Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
Heat a frying pan over a medium heat, not too hot. Add a little oil or butter to coat the pan.
Pour in 1 tbsp of mixture per pikelet. You may have to cook in batches depending on the size of your pan. You should be able to make around 18 pikelets. You can also make them in a larger crepe style if you prefer.
Wait for bubbles to form on the outside rim. When the bubbles have formed on 60 per cent of the pikelet, flip and cook the other side briefly. Repeat with remaining batter.
After making the pikelets, the toppings are only limited by your imagination! Here are a few of our ideas:
1. 1 slice of banana and a sprinkle of coconut
2. 1 tsp of low sugar jam
3. 1 tbsp of pureed raspberries
4. 1 tbsp of pureed raspberries and apples
5. 1 slice of pear and a pinch of cinnamon
6. 1 tbsp of plain yogurt with some pureed raspberries on top
7. 1 tbsp stewed apple with a sprinkle with chia seeds for extra crunch and omega-3 fatty acids.
8. 1 tsp tahini or peanut butter, then top with sliced banana and a pinch of shredded coconut.
Pikelets are a perfect platform for these savoury combinations:
9. 1 tsp of ricotta, 1 sliced cherry tomato and 1 tsp of grated cheese
10. 1 tbsp of cream cheese and 1 tsp of grated cheese
11. 1 slice of tomato and 1 tsp of grated cheese
12. 1 tbsp of pesto
13. 1 tsp of cream cheese and 1 piece of shredded ham or salami
14. 1 tbsp leftover Bolognese and sprinkle with grated cheese
15. add some pesto to cooked peas, then dollop on top of a pikelet.
Ready to lose weight with the Healthy Mummy?
If you are on a mission to tackle your weight and overhaul your health – then our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge can help!
The 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge includes:
- 28 days of at home exercise routines (no gym needed) – with video instruction
- New CHALLENGE THEME each month – so you’ll NEVER get bored
- Customisable and breastfeeding friendly meal plans
- Time-efficient exercises for busy mums – under 30 mins
- Challenge combines Pilates exercises with interval and circuit training (HIIT)
- Suitable for basic to advanced fitness levels
- Home to thousands of EASY-TO-MAKE recipes!
- Find out more about joining the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge here.