Italian meets Mexican in this tasty Cheesy Taco Pasta dish. Pasta is a great cost-effective way to bulk out meals for the family. Choose wholemeal or high fibre versions as often as possible.
This recipe comes directly from our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge and is one of our favourite budget saving recipes – perfect for families looking to save their pennies!
The best part about this recipe is that the whole thing is cooked in the one pot – that’s right, even the pasta is thrown in! You can have this cooked and on the table in less than half an hour.
Ingredients (Makes 4 servings)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (15 mls)
- 1 red onion, diced (100 grams)
- 1 red pepper, finely diced (100 grams)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (6 grams)
- 400 grams tinned brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 small red chilli, sliced (10 grams)
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning, salt reduced (12 grams)
- 2 cups water (500 mls)
- 400 grams tinned tomatoes, diced
- 100 grams wholemeal pasta, any shape
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated (120 grams)
- 1 cup plain corn chips, crushed (25 grams)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat Greek natural yogurt (65 grams)
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped (10 grams)
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add onion and red peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes or until soft.
- Add the garlic, lentils, chilli and taco seasoning. Stir to combine and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the water, tinned tomato and pasta. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Stir through the grated cheese, until melted.
- Divide taco pasta between four bowls and top each with some crushed corn chips, a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkle of coriander to serve.
- Store leftovers (without corn chips) in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or freeze for up to 2 months. Add corn chips when ready to re-serve.
345 calories per serve
Want to access thousands of healthy recipes like this one?
Want to shift your baby weight but feel like you have NO TIME in your day to exercise and eat healthily? That’s where the Healthy Mummy’s 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge can help.
Our Challenge entails: