Kids and adults alike love cereal bars so 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge member Shelley has created this delicious recipe to share with us.
Yummy snack options like these muesli bars are ideal to have on hand when there’s so many not-so-healthy temptations around us.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almonds (or can use other nuts)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 cup pitted dates soaked in boiling water for 15 minutes then drained
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- These can be enjoyed either raw or baked in the oven.
- Pre-heat oven to 150C / gas mark 2.
- Line baking tray then set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together oats, nuts, vanilla, 3 of the 4 tablespoons of maple syrup and coconut oil until well combined.
- Spread evenly over baking paper lined tray and pop in pre-heated oven for 10 minutes (keep and eye on it though as some ovens may take a shorter time).
- Remove from oven, add coconut, mix together and pop back in oven for up to 10 minutes (again keeping an eye in it).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Leave oven on at this stage if baking the mixture at a later stage.
- Blitz dates until they form a sticky ball.
- Add peanut butter and remaining 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and blitz again.
- Add both mixtures together and combine well.
- Press into a 20cm x 20cm pan.
- At this point you can choose to either leave it raw or bake the mixture.
- If leaving raw, place in fridge/freezer to set then remove and enjoy.
- If baking, place into the oven which is already at 150C / gas mark 2, for 15 minutes (keep an eye on it once again due to varying ovens).
- Once baked, allow to cool then enjoy.Recipe makes 18 bars at 104 calories each.