The kids will LOVE these cute Easter-themed pikelets for a family breakfast. The batter has a lovely festive feel with the addition of fruit and spices (but you can omit these if you’d rather).
28 Day Weight Loss Challenge members have access to lots of family friendly recipes that will help feed the family this Easter. Think homemade chocolate bunnies, gluten free hot cross buns, and even Mini Tiramisu. Find out more about the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge here.
Ingredients (Makes 3 servings)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat milk of choice (125 mls)
- 1/4 cup water (62 mls)
- 1 tbsp reduced-fat Greek natural yogurt (15 grams)
- 1 free-range egg (50 grams)
- 1/2 cup plain wholemeal flour (60 grams)
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour (60 grams)
- 1 tsp baking powder (2.5 grams)
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (30 grams)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (0.25 grams)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (0.25 grams)
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves (0.25 grams)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (1.25 mls)
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (12 grams)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (15 mls)
- In a jug mix milk, water, yogurt and egg until smooth.
- In a bowl mix flours and baking powder. Remove 1 tablespoon worth of flour mix and place into a smaller bowl, mix with 2 tablespoons worth of the yogurt/milk mix to make a thin batter. Set aside.
- Add the currants, cranberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, vanilla and sugar to the flour mix. Add the yogurt/milk mix and stir to make a batter
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon of the oil. Using the thin, small amount of plain batter you set aside, form three small crosses per serve in the pan. Then pour a spoonful of the fruity batter over the top of each of the 3 small crosses and cook until bubbles have formed on the surface. Flip over and cook for another minute or so on the other side.
- Repeat with the remaining oil, thin plain batter and the fruity batter until you have 9 hot cross pikelets.
Serve 3 pikelets per person.
316 calories per serve
Are you ready to kick-start your weight loss?
Want to shift your baby weight but feel like you have NO TIME in your day to exercise and eat healthily? That’s where the Healthy Mummy’s 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge can help.
Our Challenge entails:
- 28 days of at home exercise routines (no gym needed) – with video instruction
- Customisable and breastfeeding friendly meal plans
- Time-efficient exercises for busy mums – under 30 mins
- Challenge combines Pilates exercises with interval and circuit training (HIIT)
- Suitable for basic to advanced fitness levels.
- Home to thousands of EASY-TO-MAKE recipes.
To find out more about joining the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge click here.