Hi everyone, it’s Rhian here, and I’m the founder of The Healthy Mummy.
I’ve been busy in the kitchen making this fabulous dessert for my family, and I wanted to show you EXACTLY how easy it is with a step by step recipe (which comes straight from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge).
It’s perfect for any occasion!
So if you want to produce a dessert that will wow your friends and family, look no further than this Chocolate Berry Layer Cake from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
Not only does it look and taste great, it’s actually made with healthy ingredients, because the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge is all about BALANCE.
The 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge allows you to lose weight in a healthy way, without cutting out the things you love.
We have already helped 100,000’s of mums lose over 500,000 stone on our balanced and healthy eating plans which include CAKE!
Making the cake
With just a few tweaks (like making the icing from yogurt and honey) you can enjoy healthy versions of desserts that you probably had assumed would be off limits on a weight loss program.
For the cake
- 2 2/3 cups wholemeal self-raising flour (320g)
- 1 cup coconut sugar (200g)
- 1/4 cup cocoa/cacao powder (25g)
- 4 eggs (200g)
- 1.5 cups almond milk (360ml)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5ml)
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules (4g)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (60ml)
For the filling
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (230g)
- 2 tsp honey (10ml)
- 1 cup mixed fresh berries and cherries of choice (145g)
- 10 grams dark chocolate
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 180C /gas mark 4.
- Line two 22 x 22cm round cake tins with baking paper, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and cocoa/cacao. Mix well to combine.
- Add eggs, milk, vanilla, coffee and coconut oil.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the mixture for 20 seconds or until just combined and thick, scraping down the sides as needed. Do not over-mix batter or the cakes will be tough.
- Divide batter evenly between the two lined tins.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove and cool in tins for 10 minutes.
- Remove from tins and transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
For the filling
- Combine yogurt and honey, mix well.
- Once cakes are completely cool, trim tops of cakes to make each even and flat.
- Spread half the yogurt mix over the top of one cake. Add half the fresh mixed berries on top of the yoghurt.
- Carefully place remaining cake on top of the other to sandwich together.
- Spread remaining yogurt on top of the cake and add remaining berries.
- Run a vegetable peeler along one side of the dark chocolate over the cake, creating chocolate shavings.
Slice into 16 pieces – 1 slice is one serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
251 calories per serve
Are you ready to kick-start your weight loss?
Want to shift your baby weight but feel like you have NO TIME in your day to exercise and eat healthily? That’s where the Healthy Mummy’s 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge can help.
Our Challenge entails:
- 28 days of at home exercise routines (no gym needed) – with video instruction
- Customisable and breastfeeding friendly meal plans
- Time-efficient exercises for busy mums – under 30 mins
- Challenge combines Pilates exercises with interval and circuit training (HIIT)
- Suitable for basic to advanced fitness levels.
- Home to thousands of EASY-TO-MAKE recipes.
To find out more about joining the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge for £1 click here.