Have you ever heard of chia jam?
As well as being gluten free, chia seeds also contain high levels of protein, calcium, vitamin c and omega 3 fatty acids.
Commercial and even home-made jams are usually full of sugar and added gelling agents which turn an otherwise healthy spread into something not much better than candy.
- ½ cup fresh chopped strawberries
- ½ cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp natural sweetener such as stevia, rice malt syrup, or honey
- 1 ½ tbsp chia seeds
- Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and stir over a low heat until the berries have softened
- Puree or mash lightly, until just a few small lumps remain
- Thoroughly stir in chia seeds in four lots so that they don’t clump together
- Pour into a jar or container and place in the fridge until thickened, at least 1 ½ hours
- Store jam in the fridge. Will keep for about 1 week