Almond and date protein balls
These all-natural protein balls make a fabulous healthy snack. Sweetened with dates and a little bit of honey, instead of added sugar – they are a great inclusion to the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
If you don’t have any almonds you can really substitute freely.
Coconut oil is great for recipes like this. It is liquid when warm and solidifies when cold, so when you chill the energy balls the solidified coconut oil helps to bind them together.
The easiest way to make these is with a food processor. A blender tends to leave you with everything stuck together in the bottom (as there isn’t a lot of liquid).
- 1 cup of raw, whole almonds (140 grams)
- 1 cup of pitted, dried dates, soaked for 2 hrs prior to using (170 grams)
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter (or any nut butter) (15 grams)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (60 mls)
- 3 tbsp cacao (or good quality cocoa) (24 grams)
- 2 tsp cinnamon (2 grams)
- 1 tbsp honey (20 mls)
- Process the almonds until they are like crumbs.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process until well combined.
- Using wet hands, roll the mixture into balls and place on a plate.
- Chill in the fridge for an hour to set (if you can wait that long) and enjoy as a healthy eating snack
Makes: 20 balls. Calories per ball: 100.
Need some more healthy snack ideas?
With thousands of recipes, and hundreds of fat burning exercises and 24/7 support, The Healthy Mummy 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge can help YOU hit your goal weight faster.
Our Challenge includes:
- 28 days of at home exercise routines (no gym needed) – with video instruction
- New CHALLENGE THEME each month – so you’ll NEVER get bored
- Customisable and breastfeeding friendly meal plans
- Time-efficient exercises for busy mums – under 30 mins
- Challenge combines Pilates exercises with interval and circuit
- Suitable for basic to advanced fitness levels
- Home to thousands of EASY-TO-MAKE recipes!