Headaches suck. And if you are a regular sufferer you know exactly what I mean.
I have actually suffered from headaches all my life and have had numerous MRI scans, alternative therapies, tried countless different prescriptions, seen dozens of specialists – and all to no avail – in fact anything you could suggest I can guarantee I have tried!
I used to pay a lot of money to see top neurologists to try and get to the bottom of them. After years of seeing someone and after a lot of trial and error treatments he said “the truth is we only understand about 10% of the reasons why people get headaches”. Good one.
So a few years back I stopped seeing all the specialists and instead looked at the hormonal link and started using Progesterone cream on my skin every day (just a little bit rubbed on my arm). Although it didn’t stop them, it did have a big improvement but BELOW was the BIG game changer!
Plus I have spent MANY a night with frozen peas strapped to my head to numb the pain – as in the photo above!
The hormonal link was further confirmed to me in my first pregnancy when in my first trimester I hardly had any headaches then boom in my second one they were thick, fast, every day and were very debilitating. Then in my last trimester I had 3 horrific migraine attacks where I had to be hospitalised – they were so bad I couldn’t speak, blacked out and had no idea where I was and the pain – well WOW.
The only thing that could be done was having pethadine injected which I can still remember the absolute relief lying in the hospital bed when the pethadine kicked in and I got my faculties back and the pain stopped. Luckily the neurologist and Dr assured me the issues were not effecting my baby and it was all chemical reactions in my head to the hormone levels which were now doing effective sommersaults in my body.
The game changer for me
But now the thing that I find to be a MASSIVE improvement is GINGER! It has literally CHANGED my life.
I was recommend it a few years back to help with the inflammation caused by the headaches and to help circulation – and I have never looked back.
I add it into my Healthy Mummy smoothies I make – and I make them very gingery (around 1 x heaped tablespoon of fresh ginger) and you may not want to include as much as me – but the anti inflammatory action of the ginger really helps – so if you do have headaches – give ginger a go!
I also include it in my recipes when and where I can. Like in these delish Gingerbread Balls (recipe available in the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge recipe hub).
Why is ginger so good?
Science is finally catching up and researchers around the world are now discovering that ginger works wonders in the treatment of everything from cancer to migraines. Below are some of the areas it can help in – if you need any more reasons to add it into your diet
- Morning sickness – Several studies has concluded that ginger is just as effective as vitamin B6 in the treatment of morning sickness
- Heartburn – Ginger has long been used as a natural heartburn remedy.
- Pain & inflammation – One study showed that ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and is a powerful natural painkiller.
- Cold & Flu – Ginger has long been used as a natural treatment for colds and the flu.
- Migraine – Research shows that ginger may provide migraine relief due to its ability to stop prostaglandins from causing pain and inflammation in blood vessels
So there you have it. Ginger is my BEST FRIEND. Make it yours today too and start reaping the health benefits.
My Ginger Super Green Smoothie
- 1 x tbsp of Vanilla Healthy Mummy Smoothie mix (12.5g) (available in September)
- 1 piece of fresh ginger (4g)
- 1/2 cup of baby spinach (15g)
- 1 x fresh raw carrot (70g)
- 1 x celery stick (40g)
- 200ml almond milk
Add all into a blender – blend for 1-2 mins and then ENJOY!!!
Want more delish recipes?
With thousands of recipes, and hundreds of fat burning exercises and 24/7 support, The Healthy Mummy 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge can help YOU hit your goal weight faster.
Our Challenge includes:
- 28 days of at home exercise routines (no gym needed) – with video instruction
- New CHALLENGE THEME each month – so you’ll NEVER get bored
- Customisable and breastfeeding friendly meal plans
- Time-efficient exercises for busy mums – under 30 mins
- Challenge combines Pilates exercises with interval and circuit
- Suitable for basic to advanced fitness levels
- Home to thousands of EASY-TO-MAKE recipes!