Eeeek! It is nearly Halloween and every shop seems to be jammed full of sweets, chocolate and not so healthy foods. Taking the kids to the shops is probably proving more and more difficult as they want EVERYTHING they see – and not the healthy stuff!
It can be tough – especially as Halloween is such a fun time of year with so many families now celebrating it. As mums we end up saying NO all the time and feel a bit like the fun police. But not this year! We have some super fun recipes that get into the Halloween spirit but also show our kids how fun can be healthy too.
5 spook-tastic Halloween treats (that are actually healthy)
- 1 large peach per spider being made (145 grams)
- Small cup of blueberries (240 grams)
- Some toothpicks for the legs
- 1 tsp of cream cheese (5g) and a few raisins for the eyes
- Create four holes on each side of the peach. Insert blueberries onto the toothpicks. Pop one of the tooth picks into the peach and a second toothpick into the last blueberry of the previous toothpick.
- Repeat for the rest of the seven legs.
- Then dot some cream cheese on the peach for the eyes and pop a raisin in each blob of cream cheese
Make sure you supervise young children due to the toothpicks in this recipe
2. Scary Monster Teeth
- 2 large apples (200 grams)
- Nuts of choice – we used slivered almonds
- 4 tbsp peanut butter or almond butter (64 grams)
- Cut apples into slices, then spread peanut butter onto the apple slices to join the apples together to form the mouth.
- Insert the nuts to act as scary teeth.
3. Web Pizza
- Use our 2 ingredient pizza dough recipe for this base
- 1 cup of tomato passata (250 mls)
- Sliced cheese
- Olives (optional)
- Spread the tomato passata over the pizza base. Separate or cut cheese into smaller strips for the spiders web. Place in a cobweb pattern on the pizza. Bake for 10-12 minutes in a hot oven until the cheese is melted.
- Get creative and use olive halves and slices to create scary spiders
4. Pumpkin & Ghosts
- Peel the clementines and remove the core. Slice celery into skinny strips, and insert into the middle of the clementine.
- Peel and cut the bananas in half. Push two raisins into the banana for eyes and one for the mouth.
5. Green and yellow pepper lanterns
- Green and yellow peppers
- Mixed salad
- Shredded cooked chicken
Cut faces into the side of the peppers as you would a pumpkin using a small sharp knife. Cut the lids off the peppers. Remove the seeds inside. Stuff pepper with salad mix and top with the shredded chicken.