Single mum-of-four, Christie, and her 13 year old daughter, Tigah Rosie, set themselves a ‘meal prepping on a tight budget’ challenge. You have got to find out how this dynamic-duo created over 200 meals from just ONE shop.
Mum & daughter duo make 200+ meals and snacks on a budget
Christie has lost an incredible 2.9st. since jumping on board with The Healthy Mummy and following the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenges.
Christie loves how the challenge recipes and meal plans are easy to follow, make and prepare. Even a terrible cook (which she labels herself) and a 13 year old (literally – her daughter) can whip them up.
Christie says, “Tigah Rosie [Christie’s daughter] really is the prepping princess!”
Taking meal prepping to the next level
As a single mum of four, sticking to a budget (especially for groceries) is paramount. Christie reveals, “I’m a single mum of 4 girls so budgeting is so important in our house. So, after doing smaller meal preps before, and seeing how much I could save, I decided to take it to the next level.”
As well as saving big on her shopping, Christie reveals, “I’ve found that prepping has really created a strong bond between me and the girls as well, especially Tigah Rosie, because we’re really enjoying doing this together and as a mum of a teen, that can be hard to find!”
How to shop on a budget
Here are Christie’s top tips for shopping on a tight budget:
- Buy all your meat on sale and look for cheaper options (like chicken drumsticks instead of breast)
- Buy seasonal veggies as well as frozen veggies (just so you save a bit more)
- Opt for supermarket own brand everything
- Bulk out your meals with extra veggies, beans or a bit of rice (depending on the meal)
- Try to pick meals that use the same ingredients when meal planning
Want more? As an added bonus – the family were left with an abundance of leftovers.
“We still have quite a few things left over [from that shop] like oats, dates, spinach and a few other things that will go into my smoothies or more snacks when we need to make more.”
Christie’s meal prep challenge begins
Christie says, “I did one big shop and was able to create over 200 meals and snacks.’
From her shop, Christie made the following meals and snacks which come from both the Healthy Mummy blog and the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge:
- 10 serves of Mexican Lasagne
- 26 serves of the slow cooked Porcupine Meatballs
- 16 serves of One Pan Lemon & Rosemary Chicken Drumsticks (28 Day Weight Loss Challenge recipe)
- 12 servings of Beef San Choy Bow
- 12 servings of Chicken and Tomato Penne (28 Day Weight Loss Challenge recipe)
- 16 Ricotta and Spinach Sausage Rolls (28 Day Weight Loss Challenge recipe)
- 20 serves of Tamari and Chicken Fried Rice – (28 Day Weight Loss Challenge recipe)
- 16 serves of the Sausage and Veggie Bake – (28 Day Weight Loss Challenge recipe)
- 6 servings of Peanut Butter Crunch
- 40 AMAZING servings of the Choc Peanut Butter Crunch Slice – (28 Day Weight Loss Challenge recipe)
- 12 serves of rice and 24 serves of veggies to add to meals
- 12 Choc-Vanilla Puff Pastry Rolls (which is actually Tigah Rosie’s recipe)
- 3 serves of Tomato and Broccoli Omelette (28 Day Weight Loss Challenge recipe)
Christie says, “I honestly can’t believe I didn’t do this sooner, I saved so much money and time and now I don’t have to worry about cooking for a long time!”
How amazing is that? Christie is one organised mama!
More on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge
Our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge is a family-friendly, breastfeeding-safe program designed FOR MUMS to help them improve their health and lose the baby weight.
Every week you are given a different meal plan to follow and each month we add NEW recipes to our Challenge Recipe Hub. That way, you’ll never get bored and stay on weight loss track while digging into healthy, yummy recipes. Some mums also choose to add in Healthy Mummy Smoothies to their meal plans, but it’s totally up to you.
Learn more about our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge HERE.