If you want to lose weight and feel good, improving your gut health should be an essential component of your lifestyle. It boosts immunity, keeps your digestive system regular (yes, that means a regular poo), and is linked with healthy weight loss.
As part of the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge, we offer meal plans and recipes that will support your weight loss goals and, in turn, support good gut health too.
Here are some simple ways to improve your gut health:
- Cut down on processed foods as they tend to include many ingredients that can upset your stomach
- Cut right down on sugar (in its many disguises) as it is an inflammatory food
- Ensure you have plenty of fibre to flush things out and keep regular
- Consider your use of antibiotics as they kill off both good and bad bugs
- Drink plenty of water to flush your system out and help your body produce waste
- Allow some germs to get through by kissing your dog every now and then to build up your immunity
From this list, it’s easy to see why we don’t recommend things like greasy takeaway, excessive alcohol intake or sugary cakes in our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
Here are 7 of the most gut-friendly ingredients
Plus some recipes that you can make to help with your gut health.
1. Greek yogurt
The good bacteria is beneficial for your gut flora. Combine with berries for an antioxidant boost, by trying these delicious Yogurt Berry Mini Cheesecakes
2. Chia seeds
High in fibre and protein, they act as an intestinal broom to give everything a clear out. Try making these quick and easy Mini Chia and Orange Muffins for a healthy and delicious snack.
3. Cider vinegar
Known for stimulating the digestion, this is easily added to your salads as a dressing with some olive oil.
A source of protein, it also helps repair the gut lining so consider adding some of these Coconut Milk Gummies to your meal plan (recipe available in the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge recipe hub).
Fermented foods like sauerkraut, kefir and miso are a great way to support gut health (and they taste good too!). We love adding miso to meals as it gives a lot of flavour for very few calories. Try the Miso Dumpling Soup from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge hub.
These are a triple boost, with their fibre to support digestion, potassium and electrolytes to keep you firing on all cylinders. Add a banana to your morning smoothie (we love this Banana, Oat and Vanilla Healthy Mummy smoothie).
Believed to help you digest your food, ginger also adds a nice heat to stir-fries. Try this Slow Cooked Taiwanese Chicken and Rice which also includes gut-loving stock (make your own if you can).
Make the change now and join us on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge
- 28 days of at home exercise routines (no gym needed) – with video instruction
- Customisable and breastfeeding friendly meal plans
- Time-efficient exercises for busy mums – under 30 mins
- Challenge combines Pilates exercises with interval and circuit training (HIIT)
- Suitable for basic to advanced fitness levels
- Home to thousands of EASY-TO-MAKE recipes!
To learn more about our 28 DAY WEIGHT LOSS CHALLENGE CLICK HERE.