We have always been super passionate about the health of mums at The Healthy Mummy and we love to support our mums to be as healthy as they can be.
As part of this commitment to mums health and World Healthy Mummy month we surveyed over 5,000 mums in The Healthy Mummy global community as part of the first ever Global Mums Health Survey.
We asked mums about a range of topics including their family circumstances, lifestyle, physical and mental health along with their health goals and barriers to healthy living.
Watch Rhian Allen Founder of the Healthy Mummy talk about World Healthy Mummy Month and the results from the survey.
Read some of the results below.
Shocking results show less than 17% of UK mums love their body
We surveyed our global community of mums to find out what their biggest struggles are when it comes to juggling their health and well being with their families.
The mums in our community are a diverse group that includes stay at home mums (30.3%), full time working mums (26%), part time working mums (25.2%), new mums on maternity leave (8.1%), mums who have their own business (2.7%) and mums who work from home (2.5%).
Thinking globally it was interesting to see that mums in the US (38%) are twice as likely to work full time as mums in Australia (19.2%) with 24.9% of British mums surveyed working full time.
Despite this diversity all these mums have one major thing in common they all love their family and want the best for them which means being the best they can be. Which is why we wanted to find out just what they all struggle with when it comes to their health.
Highlights of the survey results:
- Less than 1/3 of mums say that they feel healthy
- Less than 17% of UK mums love their body
- Over 30% of mums get 5 hours or less sleep each night on average
- Almost half of mums experience a significant amount of stress
- 80% of mums think that healthy eating can be expensive
- Less than 20% of all mums said they had energy to exercise
- The main barriers to losing weight are lack of motivation and lack of time
- Over 50% of mums said their partner didn’t support them fully in living a healthy life
- 32% of mums said the area they needed most help in was will power
- Less than 15% of mums said they loved their body
- Body-love is higher in the US than the UK and Australia
- 95% of mums feel the media puts pressure on mums to lose weight
- 97% of mums feel good about seeing a range of mums with different body shapes in the media
The Healthy Mummy’s founder Rhian Allen said, “Mums are the gatekeepers to the family and the key person of influence for the health and longevity of her family. When mothers set a positive health example, it can have a significant roll on effect across her family and community. Our mission at The Healthy Mummy is to help mums all over the world to lead a healthier life by supporting and helping them make health a priority and set positive examples for generations to come.”
Read how these six amazing mums found their inner confidence with the Healthy Mummy 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge!
What are UK mums goals?
When it comes to weight loss what over one-third of British mums have a goal of losing 3 stone or more with just 10% wanting to lose more than 5 stone.
What’s stopping mums from losing the weight?
Whether their goal is 3 stone or 5 stone the mums we surveyed said that a lack of motivation (25%) and a lack of time (22%) were the two biggest things preventing them from reaching their weight loss goals.
Are you struggling to stay motivated? The Healthy Mummy provides support and advice to keep you on track with your weight loss goals. Read our Top Ten Tips for staying motivated when losing weight.
Are you ready to kick-start your weight loss?
Want to shift your baby weight but feel like you have NO TIME in your day to exercise and eat healthily? That’s where the Healthy Mummy’s 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge can help.
Our Challenge entails:
- 28 days of at home exercise routines (no gym needed) – with video instruction
- Customisable and breastfeeding friendly meal plans
- Time-efficient exercises for busy mums – under 30 mins
- Challenge combines Pilates exercises with interval and circuit training (HIIT)
- Suitable for basic to advanced fitness levels.
- Home to thousands of EASY-TO-MAKE recipes.
To find out more about joining the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge for £1 click here.
Join our community of supportive mums!
If you are wanting to get that bit of extra support in your journey to better health come and join our community of like-minded mums!