Melissa adds, “Meal prepping helps me reach my goals for a number of reasons, the main thing is it stopped me from splurging out on bad foods, the second reason is that it has taught me how to cook and prepare healthy but yummy meals.”
Melissa’s top 10 tips for meal prepping on a budget
1. If you can buy in bulk, it’s usually cheaper.
2. You can always replace a few of the ingredients on 28 Day Weight Loss Challengemeals with something similar. For example if you don’t have carrot use courgette. I’m always replacing certain ingredients with similar foods, so I’m not running to the shop every time I don’t have something.
4. When you come across fresh produce that is on sale, stock up and freeze it.
5. Keep your fridge and pantry organised so that way when you have leftovers you will remember to use them and nothing gets wasted.
6. Explore your taste buds and experiment with cheaper foods. Mexican is full of flavour and does not cost an arm and a leg to make, think beans and tomatoes.
7. At the start of the week write out all your 28 Day Weight Loss Challengemeals for the week, do one big shop of everything you will need. That way you won’t find yourself purchasing unexpected things when you make your way to the shop during the week for items you have forgotten to buy.
8. Online shopping is a great way of purchasing groceries. There is no temptation there, you type in what you need and buy the one you like best.
9. Consider shopping at local markets. If you’re lucky enough to have these, usually you can find produce much cheaper than the stores.
10. Don’t be afraid to buy the store brand as well, majority of the time its the same thing but in cheaper packaging.
Melissa’s top 10 favourite things to cook from the challenge
The 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge offers meal plans and exercises for mums to tackle weight loss and fitness. What’s more, the meal plans on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge are 100 per cent customisable.