Cheaper cuts of meat like lean chuck steak are perfect for long slow cooked curries like this beef rendang from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
When served with rice and veggies, a small amount can go a long way. Feed the whole family for just £1.49 per serve. MUCH cheaper than picking up a take away curry!
This freezes well too so you can always make a double batch of the curry and squirrel it away in the freezer for a family meal another night.
Instead of rice you could also serve it with delicious homemade naan bread using our famous 2-ingredient pizza dough recipe. Just roll small balls of dough out to about 1/2 cm thickness and cook on both sides in a frying pan with a good spritz of cooking oil until golden.
We love budget friendly meals on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge. Healthy eating and losing weight doesn’t have to cost a fortune! Join thousands of other mums across the UK on the next 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge for just £1.
Ingredients (Makes 4 servings)
- 1 brown onion, roughly chopped (100 grams)
- 3 cloves garlic (9 grams)
- 4 tsp fresh ginger (16 grams)
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric (0.25 grams)
- 1 small red chilli (10 grams)
- 1/4 cup water (60 mls)
- 400 grams stewing steak e.g. casserole steak
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (10 mls)
- 400 grams reduced fat coconut cream
- 1/2 cup basmati rice, uncooked (90 grams)
- 2 medium carrots (140 grams)
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed (120 grams)
- 1 small head bok choy, or pak choi (150 grams)
- Make the rendang paste by placing onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, chilli and water in a blender and blitzing until smooth. Cut the beef into large pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the beef and brown all over, around 4-5 minutes.
- Add the rendang paste and cook for a further 4-5 minutes, until the beef is coated well with the paste and smells very fragrant.
- Add the coconut cream, stir to combine. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce to a simmer for 90 minutes or until the sauce has evaporated and thickened and the beef is very tender.
- About 25 minutes before ready to serve, cook the rice according to packet directions.
- Cut the carrots into batons and steam on the stovetop with the beans and bok choy for approximately 8-10 minutes, or until tender crisp.
- Divide rice, beef rendang and steamed vegetables evenly between four bowls to serve.
- Leftover beef rendang can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
412 calories per serve